Preventing Mold In Your Bathroom
The best defense is preventing mold from occurring in the first place. Keep in mind the following tips for keeping mold out of your bathroom:
- Use your bathroom ventilation fan when you shower or bathe, and leave it on for 30 minutes following the end of your bath; if you don’t have an exhaust fan, install one.
- Keep household humidity levels below 50%; an air conditioner or dehumidifier can help.
- Use a mildew-resistant shower curtain, and wash or replace it frequently.
- Don’t keep bottles of shampoo or shower gel, toys, or loofahs in the shower, as they provide places for mold to grow and hide.
- Wash your bathroom rugs frequently.
DIY Mold Removal - NOT a Good Idea!
NOT a DIY project!
You might love a good DIY project — but not all projects will love you.
Some tasks need to be left to the professionals. When it comes to mold removal in your house or trying to clean mold yourself, DIY is not a good idea. It can affect your health, and if you don’t complete it properly, it could create an even larger issue.
There’s a reason that California requires a person be licensed in order to assess and remediate mold.
Special supplies and equipment are needed to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This insures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.
It’s important to protect yourself and others from getting sick or causing cross-contamination when removing mold. Most homeowners will not take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Mold removal professionals are trained to handle contaminants, and they know that there are certain ways to get in and out of protective wear to prevent the spread or inhalation of the contaminant.Detailed training is imperative to removing mold properly. Professionals have their crew members wear protective cover-all suits and are fitted for a high-grade respirator. Purchasing a paint suit and dust mask from the hardware store is not enough, nor is it the proper protection.
And mold, when cleaned improperly, can easily be spread throughout other areas of your home. If you try scrubbing or cleaning an area with mold that does not have the proper containment set up, the spores can go airborne and spread throughout other areas of the home. Initially, the issue could have been isolated to one area of the home such as the basement. After trying to clean it improperly, it could spread to other rooms, creating a much bigger problem.
These are just some of the most obvious reasons to have a licensed mold professional come out and evaluate your home.
Mold Damage Tips
Mold Damage Emergency Tips:
What you can do until help arrives
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO of East Fullerton / Placentia has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (714) 525-0158
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of East Fullerton / Placentia for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of East Fullerton / Placentia has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
SERVPRO of East Fullerton / Placentia proudly serves Fullerton, Placentia, Brea, and surrounding areas.